The activity shall investigate the viability of integrating Scalable Video Coding (SVC) technologies over DVB-SH networks and disseminate its findings to relevant fora (e.g. DVB TM–SSP, DVB TM–CBMS, or DVB TM–AVC). Partners of the project are Nomor Research GmbH, Fraunhofer HHI, Fraunhofer IIS and Eutelsat S.A.
The individual study objectives may be summarized as follows:
- To gain insight on the benefits of state-of-the-art Scalable Video Coding (SVC), in a Mobile TV context,
- To analyze the DVB-SH specifications with regards to supporting SVC,
- To provide methods for estimating the gains offered by SVC with respect to H.264/AVC,
- To verify these methods by way of system simulations (to be set-up in the study) of selected DVB-SH use cases (to be identified in the study),
- To benchmark DVB-SH against other bearer technologies for Mobile TV that exploit SVC-based or non-SVC-based scalable video coding schemes, using public descriptions/results available for these other bearer technologies,
- If necessary, to influence the SVC standardisation process in DVB (TM-AVC), in coordination with other stakeholders within and outside TM-SSP,
- To provide recommendation for future work, using the tools developed.